Arlington House is a large purpose-built residential block of 120 apartments in Arlington Street, Mayfair. Designed by Modernist architect Michael Rosenauer and hailed upon completion in 1936 as the most modern block of flats in Europe, Arlington House sits on the edge of Green Park next to The Ritz.
Quoted in 1936, Rosenauer declared that:
“I have tried to make a building that does its job without any fuss. No pomposity, no airs.”
In the 1950s, Rosenauer designed the Inn on the Park, the Carlton Tower and The Westbury as well as the Time and Life building.
At the upper end of the luxury market, Arlington House enjoys a high all year-round occupancy rate, which makes the task of refurbishment a military operation. Due to the nature of the building where guests, often families with children, can stay for just two nights or 30 years as one guest did, comfort, practicality and durability were utmost with comfort. Returning guests often request the same apartment over and over so it must feel like a home from home.
In terms of style, it was agreed that a Modern Deco Luxe look would be appropriate, mixing modern and contemporary pieces of furniture and art, with soft furnishings in bold, jewel-like colours and geometric patterns.
The principal room had to work as both a drawing room and dining room. Feature walls were created and for a touch of glamour, specialist-finish company Decorum Est decorate niches with Deco fish scale tiles in rich metallic colours.
The schemes were carried through into the bedrooms, for which we made deep buttoned, upholstered headboards, pouffes and cushions in softer tones.
For these premium apartments, our brief was essentially the same in terms of practicality, but the emphasis was much more on luxury, with key pieces by well-known designers.
The connecting drawing room, dining room and study all overlook St James’ park, with big windows and plenty of light. We decided to create feature walls in strong petrol blue shades from Mylands. As up to 8 guests could be staying in these apartments, there had to be plenty of seating. We chose Linley’s angular Maxi sofas upholstered in Pierre Frey velvets, which were off-set with Linley’s rounded Deco tub chairs and accessorized with accent cushions by Casa Botelho. Bespoke brass side tables with acid etched glass tops were created for the project. In the centre of the room was a large B & B Italia granite table sitting on a handmade North Indian rug in muted tones by Rugs of Petworth. Between the windows hung a second Victoria van Holthe canvas. Hand-blown amber glass floor lamps of dark wood tripod bases were sourced to provide extra lighting.
For the dining room we chose a Christian Liaigre Misaine table and Pierre Frey dining chairs. One wall was lined with Decorum Est verre eglomise panels and metallic photographs by Kos Evans shimmered in recesses. For lighting we decided to use further Sciolari pieces, a large ceiling pendant and wall sconces, to add drama and glamour. The table, positioned on another Indian rug with a soft abstract design, was accessorized with William Yeoward’s decorative palm tree candlesticks and a L’Objet dinner service.
The Arlington House project continues.